A friend recently shared with me that she and her daughter were making “vision boards” as a way to start off the fresh, new year. I found this kinda intriguing. It made me think about what new goals, aspirations and/or dreams I might be wrestling with. We all have those, you know. But putting the vision on paper, defining the goals or being vulnerable enough to share your dreams in a tangible presentation, takes tremendous courage. When we make our goals or dreams visible, there’s an unspoken hope of such becoming a reality. I often say to myself, “but what if I fail? What if I don’t accomplish that? What if others think that dream is silly or selfish?” Who gives a rip what anyone thinks! We only fail when we don’t even have the courage to attempt! Without a dream or vision posted high, we merely exist. Don’t spend your time on Earth just existing, dare to dream.
Zoe and I considered the project and jumped on board, literally! What I didn’t realize, was that this “vision board” was going to be more than just a creative project for me. As my adventure began, I thought long and hard about the words I chose. Words are powerful and we often times take on the words spoken to us, about us or over us. A lot of what others spew upon us can be negative, hurtful, insignificant or meaningless, yet we allow those defining words to attach themselves to us.
All the words on my board had to be life-giving, encouraging, inspiring and positive! I printed and pasted pictures of people, places and memories that are positive in my life. What I didn’t do was include any fears, worries, weaknesses I possess, struggles or other “triggers” that only serve as haunting reminders of pain or disappointments I have faced. This is a board that should build you up, not tear you down, so carefully choose who and what goes on your board!
ITEMS YOU MAY NEED:
- A poster board/any display board
- Glue stick & Scissors
- markers/crayons/whatever you have!
- Any embellishments you want!
- Personal Photos
- Favorite quotes that inspire you!
WHAT’S THE POINT?
This is a call to action. It’s a creative tool that you are going to create that will speak to you every, single day. It will remind you to not quit, sweep your dreams under the rug or change the goals. It will hold you accountable be bold enough to step up the the plate of life. You are casting a FRESH vision here! Last season is old news. Close the first chapter and be courageous enough to move on to the next! This is all about YOU- no one else!
HERE’S THE ASSIGNMENT:
- Jot down things important to you.
- Create categories for yourself.
- Words cut from magazines that describe you, a goal, a dream, your faith etc.
- Don’t procrastinate!
EXAMPLE CATEGORIES: Take a peek at my board. I have a few categories that extend out from the center. The most important things in my life are:
- MY RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD- Because I realize I’m in need everyday, don’t have it all together and can’t live my life without Him. Seeing a dose of daily encouragement on my board inspires me. I believe what God says about me- not what the world says!
- MY MARRIAGE- Chance, is my best friend, confidant, partner in life, co-parent and lover. He is everything to me. I value what he brings to the table of life, so being reminded everyday to protect, nuture and respect what we share is crucial to me.
- MY CHILDREN & FAMILY- Skyman and Zozo are my prizes in life! I work everyday to live as a positive, encouraging example for them to imitate (well minus my cussing issues!) I see them as an investment. I deposit knowledge, joy, peace, unconditional love and discipline into their lives. The return on my investment will be shared with all the people they encounter in life and make an impact on. I’ve lived my adult life with them at the forefront of my mind. Reminding myself that I am being used as an instrument of inspiration to two, young people is a heavy yet honorable weight to carry.
- MY FRIENDS- The people I do life with speaks volumes about who I am. My mom used to say, “you are who you hang with.” With this in mind, I surround myself with the strongest women I know. These women make me want to laugh, cry, vacation, relax, pray, inspire, love, serve, encourage and more. God uses all these women and connects them to me like little vertebras in my back. They hold me up and cheer me on when I want to collapse in the face of adversity. I love them.
- ASPIRING WRITER- Maybe someday you’ll pick up my New York Times Best Selling novel… Key word: Someday!
- THE OCEAN- I have an ongoing love affair with the ocean that started when I was a little girl. I dream about someday living at the beach. Attainable? Geez, I don’t know, but if I don’t dream about it, it will surely never come to pass, will it!?
- MY HEALTH- Meditating, praying, eating right, going to yoga and possessing a healthy perspective on myself and life in general, is crucial for me. Because I’m a busy body, I have to give myself permission to relax, chill out and breathe.
- AMY- I will only use kind, gentle, encouraging words when describing myself. Not gonna nit-pick or speak down to myself. Likewise, I’m not going to let the negative words, the actions of others or the events of life dictate my peace or joy. So, in the center of the board, the core of who I am, is reflected.
So, there you go friend. What started as a little “words and glue project,” has been used to bring vision, refreshment and transformation. Maybe it’s time for you to redefine your own hopes and dreams. Rethink the friendships and relationships you possess. Be daring enough to dream the craziest hopes you have. Perhaps it’s time to reconnect with your higher power. Get centered and focused in your mind and spirit. Invest in the people who truly matter. Lastly, tape the poster up where you’ll see it everyday (in your bathroom, on your bedroom door, in the closet where you get dressed). You can do this!
To see this project, or more like it, visit us on Pinterest! https://www.pinterest.com/thehardyproject/have-a-vision/